The EU Defence Innovation Scheme (EUDIS) is a set of instruments enabled by the European Defence Fund (EDF) to strengthen defence innovation in the European Union.
EUDIS offers a set of instruments for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), including start-ups, and other non-traditional players in defence industrial ecosystemto ensure more opportunities to access the European Defence Fund.
It aims to lower entry barriers into the defence domain for smaller players and innovators, focusing on technological readiness and market maturity.
EUDIS is here to support innovators throughout the development cycle to mature, scale-up, demonstrate their use-case, grow and successfully enter the market.
- Participate with your team in hackathons that will be held across Europe starting from spring 2024.
- Organise or participate in technological challenges: set-up testing environments for Research & Development and compare your solution with competing teams.
- Form a consortium and benefit from Innovation Test Hubs to distribute cascade funding grants to SMEs or start-ups.
- Participate in spin-in calls: migrate your results from civil EU-funded R&D programmes to the defence sector.
- Apply to the Defence Equity Facility: easier access to equity investments in Europe for the defence sector. COMING SOON !
- Take part in open SME and disruptive technologies calls: receive lump sum grants for R&D.
- Benefit from business coaching: successful applicants to non-thematic SMEs and disruptive technologies calls can benefit from business coaching
Who we are
The European Commission
The EU Defence Innovation Scheme is managed by the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Defence Industry and Space (DG DEFIS).
DG DEFIS manages the implementation of the European Defence Fund (EDF). The EDF is the EU’s defence Research and Development programme. EUDIS is an integral part of the EDF.
EUDIS is implemented by the European Commission. The European Defence Fund (EDF) Programme Committee based on the Commission’s proposals, approves the annual prioritisation and the budget for the EUDIS actions in the context of the EDF Work Programme.
Beyond that, feedback and conclusions stemming from a regular dialogue with EU Member States and countries associated to the EDF (Norway), and the European Defence Agency through the EDA’s Hub for Defence Innovation (HEDI), is taken into account by the Commission.
National Focal Points (NFPs) support and facilitate the implementation of the EDF, including EUDIS. NFPs are individuals nominated by EU Member States and Norway. They support the implementation of the EDF, for example, by reaching out to stakeholders or providing advice to potential applicants or beneficiaries of the EDF programme. This includes EUDIS. A full list of NFPs, including contact details, can be found on the website of DG DEFIS.
Funding & budget
In total EUR 1.46 billion are sourced from the European Defence Fund (EDF) and EUR 400-500 million are leveraged from other public and private sources.
In the EDF 2023 Work Programme, the total funding available for EUDIS is EUR 224 million.