With its €500 million investment capacity, the Defence Equity Facility (DEF) stimulates the creation of a defence & security-related ecosystem of investors and facilitates access to equity finance for innovative companies.
Capacity-building workshops provide support to fund managers interested in investing in the field of defence & security.
Rewards & Benefits
The Defence Equity Facility provides capital to VC funds that invest in EU-based companies developing innovative technologies having both civilian and defence & security.
The capacity-building workshops for fund managers are events gathering fund managers and experts in the field of defence and equity investments (Commission, EDA, EIF or other relevant experts). Several events will be organised annually in different locations in the EU.
Access to finance, particularly to risk capital, is key to support the growth of innovative companies developing technologies contributing to EU’s security.
- The EU needs more investors supporting European innovators developing defence & security technologies.
- Thanks to the Defence Equity Facility, the EIF will help investors to create new investment funds targeting the defence & security sector. The EIF’s support will help them crowd-in other investors.
Capacity building workshops will accompany fund managers in the development and running of their funds by proving:
- Expertise from the Commission and the EDA on defence-related markets and technologies;
- Advice from EIF on fund setup, investment strategy, and building the investment team;
- An arena to discuss business models and best practices;
- Networking opportunities with many other fund managers.
How does it work?
European VC fund managers investing in defence & security can:
Submit an application on EIF’s portal to receive financial support for the setting up of your fund.
Join our capacity building programme.
Funds managers should be established in the EU and should not be controlled by non-EU entities.
Innovators & investors can:
Participate in matchmaking events:
CASSINI Matchmaking (space-related)
EDF Info Day
EDA Innovation Day